Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Symptoms and Diagnosis
Re: Several Years After Dysplastic Leukoplakia: sore Nels 05-13-2024 07:16 PM
Chris,

Good job staying on top of all this and thank you for sharing it. Sure to help others and hopefully someone has had similar experiences and can help you. I do have random jaw/neck pain. I think they are simple cramps. It comes on fast and intense and I try to work the knot out with my fingers and by stretching my neck around. Sometimes they last 5-10 seconds and sometimes they last nearly a minute. I can get them in small batches but normally only a few if I do. And, I can go months without one.

Not sure if that is part of your experience but maybe it helps.

Stay safe and keep the faith,
Nels
15 3,154 Read More
Introduce yourself
Re: New Member May 10 2024 Nels 05-13-2024 06:59 PM
Hi Marc,

I agree that you are quite fortunate to have wonderful medical services so close and that they jumped on this quickly and you found it early. I went thru a similar surgery (removed half my tongue, all nodes same side of my neck, rebuilt tongue with flesh from my forearm, nasal feeding tube, trache tube) followed by radiation. Did you get your lymph node results yet? That was key to my followup and determining chemo or not.

My tongue was swollen for many weeks. So much so that I don't recall when the stitches dissolved. It was at least a month before I felt like I could start doing some normal things with it such as manipulate food and speak with some clarity. It was almost two weeks before i could close my mouth enough for my teeth to touch each other.

I made it clear to my medical team that I wanted to eat, drink, and speak as soon as possible after surgery. I was speaking a little the day I woke up. You could barely understand me but they encouraged me to speak early. As for drinking and eating, they made me pass a water test first. About 2 or 3 weeks after surgery, I proved I could drink small amounts of water over the top of my nasal feeding tube and they agreed to remove it.

It was months of learning to speak, drink, and eat again. I had my first conversation with a random phone stranger about 2 months after surgery and they mostly understood me on the first try. Today, just over four years later, spicy is about my only hold-back. But, I can manage a 3/10 on the Indian food scale! Alcohol tastes terrible except for a stout. I think it hides the alcohol flavor well. I treat myself occasionally.

BTW - I am not a smoker, social drinker only before this, 52 years old at diagnosis. Happy to jump on the phone with you as there is so much more that I forget to write about. Let me know and if interested, we can set up a time. If anything just good to practice your speech!

Stay safe and keep the faith,
Nels
1 119 Read More
Eating, Speech, Swallowing, and Alternative Feeding
Re: Full Liquids Diet - Everything Seems Too Sweet Nels 05-13-2024 06:17 PM
I suggest blending. I got a Vitamix and would put all kinds of things in with ice cream or milk such as avocados, less acidic fruit, veges, muscle milk, protein powder, etc. Let us know how it goes.

Best,
Nels
1 100 Read More
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users